
I promised everyone about 6 weeks ago I would post a pic and tell you about my purple polka dotted dress. I love vintage clothes and am particularly fond of late 50's early 60's housewife style clothing. I had just cut my hair for Locks of Love and was going for a 50's flip to match my 50's-ish prom dress. So, here is the story.
I travel for my job to surrounding communities as much as 45 minutes away to do home visits with chronically mentally ill persons. I often visit a gal at her part time job in a thrift store/vocational center. I don't think they have that great of a selection overall and it is organized by color. Sidenote: Organizing a thrift store by color is not a very efficient way to find clothes. Things are separated by gender and children's and adult sizes but not by actual size. So anyway, they do have a decent vintage section. Most items are displayed on the wall. So, I am in waiting for my client and wandering around when... I see The Purple Polka Dotted Dress. It was hanging on the wall and it was just like the movies when a beam of light focuses in on something. I quickly tried it on and determined that it would fit with a little alteration, so I had to have this dress. Normally, thrift stores' vintage items are really pricey, but not here. This dress was $5.00! It was really fun to wear but unless I drop about 10 lbs I am going to have a hard time wearing this again.
7 comments:
I LOVE that dress Natalie. Sooo cute on you.
vintage is really fun- i had a bubble gum pink 60s dress i wore in highschool, but i couldn't do it now...
you looked really cute and your hair was perfect for it. it is amazing how fun a haircut can be and change your look completely.
I REALLY like your hair! I cut mine last year about that short, and it will NEVER be that short again - my sweet hubby likes long hair so I'm letting it grow out. Thanks for visiting my little bloggie. I'm happy to share my purse-making ideas - I've come to them mostly through trial and error. I'm going to put them in another comment 'cuz blogger has just lost my comments before when they've been too long...and I'm really not that long-winded!
Purse making! I put fusible shirtweight interfacing on all my fabric (exterior & liner & pockets) before I cut anything. I've tried several kinds and my favorite is from WalMart - it's called Amor, or something like that. Then, after stuff is all cut, I put fusible fleece on the liner only. I cut the fusible fleece so that it's a 1/2 inch smaller on all sides (since I use a 1/2 seam allowance). I put it on the liner so that the pockets have something to grip to. Email me if you have any more questions -I'm happy to share!
That's such a cute dress, and I love the picture!
So super cute!! I have that picture, too, I think from Melanie. I love it!
The hair is so cute! AND THE dress! How great is that?!? Five bucks and so cool looking!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Post a Comment