I have almost always worked outside the home off and on, but I have not worked full time since becoming a mom. Until a little over a year ago. Some dramatic changes in my family and the downturn of the economy led to the need for me to take on the majority of the breadwinning responsibilities. I was fortunate to have a part time job as a youth and family counselor that allowed me to go full time simply by taking on more clients/families. I know that having that job was a blessing straight from the Lord. One problem... it was very stressful! I would set up a schedule with my clients and it would often change at the last minute. This work seemed very chaotic, no routine, no set schedule. It seemed like I was always running late. I worked into the evenings at least a couple days a week and I had hours of paperwork to do. I usually put it off till it involved an all-nighter. And since I am no longer 20 years old and 125 lbs., living off diet coke and bagels, I don't do all-nighters very well. I knew I couldn't maintain that schedule for very long. I often felt like I was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.
As Bill and I have continued to pursue God's adventure for our lives, I sought full time employment in a variety of places. My hope was to stay in a human/social service related field, but to get out of direct client services. Or, at least have a set schedule. I interviewed for a job in our new community as a prevention specialist with the non-profit division of a chamber of commerce. It seemed like a great fit for me and I liked the non-profit element in a community based profit organization. I was so excited when they offered me the job. They needed me to start working two weeks from that day. No Problem... HA! We flew into action, packed our house and made arrangements to rent a house "Down South". Three days after moving, I started my new job. I was really excited about having a set schedule and not taking work home.
I have been with my new job for almost 5 months and I love it! Having a set schedule has really helped me to develop a good routine. I am usually one of the first few people to arrive at work and very rarely late. My family knows when to expect me and I don't have to worry about having enough "hours" to support our family financially.
Bill's schedule is a little chaotic with Starbucks, right now, but we continue to pray and believe that the right opportunity will open up for him to return to professional ministry. We know that this is what God has for our family and we trust that He has a perfect plan for making that happen. Although, we still have a ways to go, I am beginning to feel a little more like a round peg.
3 comments:
It's so awesome that God orchestrated the right fit for you where your talents & abilities are usesd; stink for no DC though!!! bummer.
I'm so glad things have fallen into such a good routine for you and that you have found your stride. When mama's happy, everyone's happy.
Love you, and sure do miss you. But it's so great to hear that things are going well.
We're so happy for you guys!
Post a Comment