Sunday, January 29, 2006

Conversations

Well, Bill is doing better, but it will still be a few days before he is fully "up to snuff". What does that mean anyway? We all know kind of what it means but where does it come from? T. maybe you can find out for me. You always know about this kind of stuff.
I thought I would share this funny little conversation Bill had with Robby on Friday after preschool.
Dad: "Hey, how was school?"
Rob: "Well, nothing is wrong and I'm not nervous or anything. I just don't want to talk about it, ok."
Dad: " OK, you don't have to talk about it. I just wanted you to know that I was interested in your day."
Rob: "Dad, you're always interested in my day, but my day is just not that interesting."

Tonight, Mellie said something really cute, too. I was getting ready to take Sadie out for a potty break and Mel asks if she can come out and help. I say ,"No, it's dark."
Melanie responds innocently, "I like dark." It was just too cute.

7 comments:

leighdrea said...

Oh I miss your kids. I will never forget all the fun babysitting nights. And WOW, when Robbie was just a baby baby and I would sing him and rock him to sleep!! :O( they are getting so big!

That is the one thing I really really miss about being at college, I have no little kids around me, I miss holding babies and playing with kids!!!

Heth said...

Rob cracks me up.

Tina said...

The first meaning of up to snuff was somebody who was sharp, not easily fooled. This may have come from the idea of snuff (the tobacco) being itself a sharp preparation, but perhaps because it was mainly taken by men of adult years and some affluence (it was expensive) who would be able to appreciate the quality of snuff and distinguish between examples of different value. The evidence isn’t there to be sure about its exact origin, though an early form of the phrase was up to snuff and a pinch above it, which at least confirms it did indeed relate to tobacco.
Whatever its origin, the meaning of the phrase shifted slightly after a while to imply somebody who was efficient and capable; later still it often meant that something was up to standard, or of the required quality. It was in this sense very similar to another expression of the time, up to scratch. This comes from prize-fighting, in which the scratch was the line across the floor that a contestant had to touch with his toe to indicate he was ready to fight.

Angela said...

I wasn't kidding when I said Robby is the funniest and smartest 4-year-old I know. That is such a trip!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Robbie sounds like he is really well spoken! That is such a mature response to "How was your day." Owen pretty much says "Gooood" in that monotone whoopdeedoo kind of voice.

T~way to come through!!! :)

owlhaven said...

Thanks for visiting me-- I had fun coming to see you too. if you want to know more about adoption from Africa, you might want to check out my adoption agency's webpage. They are awesome!
Mary

hannahjoy said...

Natalie, reading your and Bill's blogs makes me want to go get my car and drive to your place. I miss the kids. They are so... wonderful. I'm coming home next weekend, and this time, there WILL need to be a stop to your place for a couple hours...