Monday, March 01, 2010

Spring

Ahh, March 1st. To me, this is the day that I feel like Spring should begin. It is now March and I am done with Winter. Done. Usually by now, I am so "Done" I begin to plan my "Welcome Spring" party. The first weekend of March, I have a party for my family with brightly colored balloons, a big bouquet of bright mixed flowers and all our favorite warm weather foods. We crank the heat in the house for the afternoon put on shorts and watch a fun (warm) movie. No "Snow Buddies" or "Eight Below"! One year, I pulled out the plastic pool into the middle of the room and the kids sat in it in their swimming suits. They did end up covering up with a blanket after a few minutes but it sure was fun.
And, even though it hasn't been below zero and record breaking snow fall, I think we will hold to our little tradition and have a "Welcome Spring" party any way. The menu will probably still have hamburgers, but this time Bill will actually grill them outside since we can, and potato salad and baked beans. It has always helped me get through those last few weeks of winter weather in anticipation of warmer days ahead.
Spring really is a time to hope and look to the future. Several of my friends both here and up North are having babies. The thought of a new life coming in spring is so fitting. I hope that those I love will find hope and joy in this fresh beginning.
Spring also holds fun events for our family. And, this Spring has many. Bill and Robby's birthdays. My brother's wedding will be in April. Spring Carnaval at school. And, then it seems, school is out and summer is here! I am so excited to seem what this spring will hold!

2 comments:

melanie said...

i think you guys need to have a baby.

Heth said...

You can always count on Mel to encourage baby having. I think MEL should have a baby. Hear that Mel?

It's warm up here this week. (Mid 30's) I've been thinking of ditching my winter coat and using a hoodie or jacket. Then I thought of you guys down there and wondered what kind of temps YOU are having. Happy Spring to you!