Thursday, December 10, 2009

Life in the Land of Cotton

Moving to the 'South' really is an adventure for a 'Northern girl'. Now, thankfully, we have not descended clear into the deep delta South, but we are definitely "South" enough. So here is my list of Signs you now live in the "South":
1. Everyone says "Ya'll", including me
2. The temperature is around 40 degrees and people are "freezing". The local weather man said in a very ominously dramatic voice on last night's newscast, "Will it get to single digits tonight?
3. When you order tea at a restaurant the waiter asks if you want sweet or unsweet.
4. Everyone belongs to church (but only half of them go).
5. There are streets named: Dixieland, Cotton and K-L-A-N (I just couldn't type it straight for fear some crazy would find my blog through a search engine)
6. BBQ. There are BBQ places and smokehouses everywhere. I think I've gained 10 lbs since moving.
7. There are Cotillions!! The uppity socialite ladies wanted to put together one for some local low in-come girls. I don't think those girls really care that much about a fancy dress that they will only wear once.
8. Football - I really don't think I have to say much more.
9. Chick-Fil-A!! I love this place. Next time you go to one, say "Thank you" to the staff and see how they respond. They are instructed to say the same thing every time they hear "Thank you". It's great!!
10. And, everyone is friendly.
I think I can get used to it here.

3 comments:

Robster said...

How about the fact that everyone is "fixin" something.

melanie said...

bye gum.. im thinkin the weather is fixing to be 30 degrees warmer than our Northern clan..

Heth said...

Crack me up.