Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Blessed to be an April Fool - Part One

Two days ago it was April 1st, a popular day in our house for obvious reasons. It was also a Sunday and we had a very special service. A young woman from our church shared the beautiful story of how God saved her life during a near fatal car accident that included a 40 foot drop from an overpass. It was beautiful to see how God had shown her through this experience that He has a great and mighty plan for her life. She feels as though she has been given a second chance at life. Her life has been forever changed.
As I sat and watched her story and as she shared a beautiful song, I tried hard not to let those around me see me breakdown. The flood of emotions filled my thoughts of my own life changing event 6 years ago. I have talked about it a few times, but haven't ever written it down. I was encouraged early on to write it down so I would always remember.
Of course, I remember being pregnant. I had been working as the lunch lady at a local elementary school. The kids had marvelled at my growing belly and I was feeling heavier and heavier. (I didn't know you could gain 65 lbs, but I did.) The last week of March was Spring Break and I had decided not to return after that since my due date was April 7th.
Now, God and I had been having lots of conversations regarding this baby. Early on I had told Him that I wanted a boy and I wanted him to come in March. I had also prayed for a "slippery baby", but you'll see how well that worked for me. I thought God and I had made quite a good deal with one another.
It was Sunday March 25th and I woke early to pains in my belly. It would get tight and I could hardly breathe, but it was bearable. This had to be it! I readied myself for church in the only thing I could still wear - big hand-me-down overalls. Not exactly a picture of the glowing expectant mommy to be, but it was comfy. I tried to play it cool and not get too excited. My doctor attended our church, so she and I sat towards the back and kept time on my bulletin. Less than 5 minutes apart. She told me to go to the hospital after church. After arriving at the hospital, the contractions began to slow down. She met us there about 1:00 and by 3:00 they sent me home. I was so disappointed but I knew it wouldn't be too long. That day I walked the mall and took a tablespoon of cod liver oil (DON'T DO IT!!!) just to try to get things going again. Of course it didn't work. In fact, it did the opposite; I was plugged up for days, 'nough said.
Everyday the following week I continued to have contractions and made contact with my doctor in some way. Monday- phone call. Tuesday-regular visit, dialated to 1, 50% efaced. Wednesday- phone call. Thursday- water broke!?! Ooops, false alarm just sweaty from the rising spring temps and my weight. Finally on Friday, March 30th, I gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen even though I spent much of my time this last week pausing and bending over to catch my breath from the contractions I was having every 5 to 10 minutes. I decided to treat myself to a pedicure at a nearby beauty college. Of course, I didn't tell them until I arrived that I was 9 months pregnant. At first they refused to touch me saying I would go into labor if they did. I assured them that it was dr. approved and if they didn't I would burst into tears and sob uncontrollably until they did. They did! That was the best pedicure ever!!
In our tired desperation, we called Heth and her hubby, Nate, and asked if we could come over for dinner. I think we needed some reassurance that this baby wouldn't be in there forever. After some delicious spicy Mexican food, we stumbled home about 12:00. At 2:30 a.m., I woke to the worst pains I had experienced yet. I tried sleeping on the couch, but by 6:00 a.m. I couldn't stand it anymore. It was time to go to the hospital.
And, the rest of the story will come later this week.

3 comments:

Heth said...

No, no, no! Not later this week! Tell us now!

I thought of you during the service on Sunday. I was breaking down right there with you except I don't think I did a very good job of hiding it. Love you and can't wait to hear the rest of the story, even though I know how it ends.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

This is not fair. I don't know the rest of the story and you had me on the edge of my seat....please don't wait too long to finish the story, otherwise I just might have to call you.:)

Praise and Coffee said...

I'm with Chris! I can't wait to hear the rest.

Natalie, thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the thoughtfulness!
And I think we are sisters after reading your profile! :)