Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The End is Here

The end is here. I'm not referring only to the fact that summer is almost officially over, marked by the beginning of the school year in just a couple days, rather, I am referring to the torturous sound my son made today as he received his "5 year old- going to school shots". You would have thought the end was here.
Overall, he did a good job. He stayed fairly lighthearted while in the doctor's office and the doctor and nurse checked him and his sister out. This was, of course, after the many conversations we had throughout the morning before hand. The sweetest one was early this morning, when my lanky son crawled into bed with me. We began to talk about our day and I said that we would be going to the doctor today.
Rob: Do I have to get shots?
Me: Yes, honey.
Rob: I know why they make you get shots.
Me: Yeah?
Rob: It's a test.
Me: A test?
Rob: Yeah, a test. It's a test to see how brave you are. If you are really brave, they will let you go to kindergarten.
Me: Yes, honey, and you are really BRAVE!!

As soon as the torture was all over, I reassured him that he had been very brave and they were going to let him go to kindergarten. After the wailing subsided, a little smile curled up the corners of his sweet little lips that said "I did it. I'm goin' to kindergarten!"

5 comments:

Heth said...

hooRAY! Way to go Rob!

hannahjoy said...

That is great. I miss you guys!

lindiepindie said...

Hey - 2 out of 3 of my boys had their shots on Tuesday, too! They did so well last year that I didn't anticipate the fear and screaming that was the reality. My 4-year old had 3! Afterward, I told him how brave he was and he kept saying, "I'm not brave!" Sounds like you had a better experience than I did. I'm so glad your little guy crossed this hurdle and feels good about it. I need to do a better job next time. I told my hubby he needs to next time just for the experience. :o)

Tina said...

kindergarten here we come!

Brenda said...

LOL!! Yaaeee Robbie, off you go!! *tears*(for mommy)Kali screamed so loud the entire waiting room was staring at us when we came out!! Talk about needing a paper bag for my head!! LOL!!