Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lost and Found

Hope everyone had a happy and uneventful 4th of July. Ours started out as a wonderfully lazy day of just staying around the house. Dad and kids took a nice long nap, knowing they would stay up late. I sauntered around Walmart at my own pace. Early evening, we joined several other families at a friend's home in the country for grilling and games. The guys played football and the girls chatted away. Bill, unfortunately, jammed his thumb. A few of us, including me teased him mercilessly about it, but it is still black and swollen so he really did do a number on it. Later that evening, we drove the five miles to the neighboring small town that has the best fireworks show I have EVER seen. I would put it up against any midwest Big town. It is always great. This is when the fun began.
The fireworks are shot off from behind the elementary school, at the bottom of a hill in a field. Bill had the kids down at the bottom of the hill on the basketball court with several other dads and kids doing sparklers. I was talking with some friends, when another friend said, "Hey, Natalie, they just called you to the ambulance." The ambulance!!??
"Bill is down at the bottom of the hill with the kids, so it must be a child from church whose parents aren't here, so they called us.", is what I thought. So, I checked in with Bill.
"Bill, Bill, BILL, WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN?!" I screamed.
Shocked, he replied, "They're right here." I saw Robby, but no Mellie. I immediately took off running for the ambulance, jumping over people and blankets sprawled out on the lawn. I may have stepped on someone, but I didn't care. Ahead, I could see my little girl held by an EMT crying! "Oh, No, she must be hurt." As I approached, she brightened up and showed me her knew Lamby puppet that they had given her. Of course, I held her and scolded her to NEVER walk away from her dad EVER again. The EMT quickly reminded me that she had done the right thing by coming to the ambulance, so that was good. But, it really scared me. Soon my heart rate began to slow, my breathing became normal. But, later when she wanted to go 3 feet ahead of me and sit with her friend, I said no and squeezed her a little tighter.

5 comments:

lindiepindie said...

That whole experience would have left me in tears for a good long while. Big crowds and letting the kids go off with their dad in a big crowd always makes me nervous. He's a great, responsible dad, but there's always a Mommy's nervous heart about having anyone else watch them as well as I can - but who am I fooling? Like I really have any control over what happens! I pray for my kid's safety every night. And now I'm just babbling. I'm glad everything was okay. I hope your hubby's thumb gets better. Poor guy.

Tina said...

that's pretty scary. we heard them call your name and wondered what was going on. i'm glad she did the right thing. SMART GIRL! it's so scary for parents though... makes you glad you live in a safe small town.

melanie said...

scary!! abby d. got lost in wmart and won't leave mommy now. God gave you a smart little girl though!! love her!

Brenda said...

I'm so emotional this week, I had tears in my eyes!!!! LOL!! Ahhhhh to be a woman. Anyway, that's really scary, I'm glad she was ok!!

hannahjoy said...

Yikes! I'm so glad that your kids weren't being taken to the hospital in the ambulance! You had me worried.