Thursday might have been a "supermom" kind of day, but we are not having a "supermom" kind of moment. As I type my husband is taking care of one three year old little girl having a massive melt down, screaming "I want mommy." But, that is only because daddy said she needed to go back to bed herself.
The last three days she has had a major melt down every single day. It is definitly related to being tired, but we are a little at our wits end. Saturday it was at the end of my sister's bridal shower. She screamed over and over at me "bad mommy, bad mommy". I just laughed because I knew she was so tired she almost couldn't control herself.
Sunday it was after lunch, changing out of her dress into pants. She did NOT want to wear pants. She got so mad she smacked me in the face. I managed to keep my cool and she took a looong nap.
Tonight, I just don't know. She has never been like this with the full on tantrums. They involve kicking, screaming, hitting. We are a little at a loss. I know it is just a phase and at 14 she won't be doing this. Right?! I know we will all get through this, but so much for my "supermom" Thursday.
Monday, March 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Yeah she seems to be going through a bit of a phase, but no matter what your still a "Supermom" in my book.
Oh little Mellie.
Little girls and their meltdowns. Let's ask T if they still have them at 14? I'm thinking yes.
Awww! How sweet of Bill.
You know, the 5 yr old girl I babysit kinda does this too at the end of the day when her dad comes to pick her up...kicking, growling, yelling, etc. You can tell that she is really tired.
uh, well, um, I hate to break it to you but.... well, maybe Mel will be different than all of my girls... uh....
let me say this for sure: Bill is right! her meltdowns and tantrums are NOT a reflection of what kind of mother you are.... you are SUPERMOM!
Good job with the nap though. It's usually sleep deprivation at that age.
Impressive to keep your cool with being smacked in the face. :) That definately takes "Supermom"!
It doesn't get easier, just different...right?
The meltdowns will end, only to reemerge around 12. Are you sure she isn't getting sick? Sometimes the not feeling well/getting tired go hand-in-hand and they can't deal with anything.
Thanks for the advice, Truth. She hasn't gotten sick, but we have had a lot of extra stuff going on and been skipping naps. We are trying to go to bed earlier and that seems to be helping.
My 'middle child went through this when she was 4/5. Then it stopped for a while. Lately she has started again but not as bad as before. I just tell her she will NEVER get what she wants by behaving that way. I do not ignore it, I remove her from other people and things so nobody and nothing gets hurt. However I do not give her extra attention either. Yup, she's my special child.
As long as you love your children....through thick and thin...through ups and down...through good and bad...YOU ARE A SUPERMOM! Keep doing the most important work of a lifetime!
Diane
Post a Comment